Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This Year. (Life Form.)

Over Christmas break, while home with my family, I started praying about what 'my 2011' would be called*. A few days before the new year came, the Lord gave me the name "A year of vision and relationships". At first, to be honest, I was a little unsure if that was right. It seemed pretty general... like naming a year "A year of stuff and people".

I was wrong. Sometimes I'm a little too skeptical. :) But I believed with it and the next few days I was amazed by the way each prayer time ended up focusing on one of two things: My vision (for ministry or my future in general) and the relationships in my life (how I relate to the people around me). Without an effort on my part to focus on these things... the Holy Spirit just kept taking me back to them.

That pattern has continued. The Lord has been doing some truly wonderful things in both these areas since I returned to Gettysburg in the beginning of January.
I've become more aware than ever about the way I communicate. That's led to some incredibly positive change in me. New relationships have been building in my life that are really fantastic... the kind that challenge me, in the best way, to be more like Christ.. and more like 'the Bonnie' God made me to be. Gentle, honest, loving, a dream chaser, to name a few. It's been really good. So thankful for good friends and much to look forward to. :)

Gettysburg has become home for me. Even before moving here back in August, God was developing a heart for it's people in me. I'm honored to be a part of Gettysburg Master's Commission, I believe our name takes hold of the promise we have for impact in our town. God's bringing my focus back to drawing people to Christ, rather than doing good things or getting stuff done. From counseling to prayer ministry, to discipleship... the Lord gives me sweet little tastes of the truth that the way he's made me fits perfectly with the ministries He's called me to. Very grateful for his purposeful design and for incredible opportunity.

God is doing good things in Gettysburg, good things in me, good things with people. Love that I get to be a part of it and experience his heart in all these areas.

The past few days have felt pretty "battle-like". I think this is a good place for me to get back to tonight. Back to the foundation of what God is doing. You are really so good.. so kind.. so faithful, God. You bring me to a place of peace and rest. This kind of reflection reminds me how good it will be to spend the rest of my life with You... even in the battles.

*"Naming your year" is a kind of prophetic exercise... seeking God for a name that shows you what He wants to do in you and through you in the year ahead. Brad Leach wrote about it here

3 comments:

  1. "Gentle, honest, loving, a dream chaser" to name a VERY few! =] I think you have a lot more than that, although those are huge. My favorite so far is encourager. I've said that before, but it's important. Everyone around you is motivated towards something better than they were when they weren't around you. I'm pumped about Gettysburg being made home for you. I wish we could have a hundred more like you, but that seems impossible to amass so many special ops agents in one city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! If I was your parent, this is one of those blogs that goes on the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, thanks for sharing this idea of "naming your year". It challenges me to once again "ask God", a message I've been hearing and responding to. I am excited about asking God to speak to me what the name of this year is for me. So excited...I love to hear Him speak!
    I agree with Luke and Al, you are an encourager and this does belong on the frig where everyone in the family can read it and be challenged!
    Love you, B

    mom

    ReplyDelete