Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dreams.

I just finished a class at the church on Sunday nights about Spiritual gifts. A few weeks ago we had a homework question that said, "If you could do anything and not fail at it, what would it be?"

A couple things came to mind within the first few minutes of reading but I actually started to get a little freaked out within the next couple days when my mind wandered back to the question. Soon I started to think, "Do I really dream anymore?".

I've felt too caught up in the details of life lately. Little things that come to mind plant a seed of stress or worry and they find their way down a terrible spiral path we'll call 'frustration and fear'.

When I was thinking about this post today I started feeling so much peace and a really sweet release as I realized that there's a bigger picture than what I've worried about today.

A week or two after reading that homework question, I finally answered a couple days ago.
If I could do anything and not fail at it I would be a wife and mom (a home-maker, too), a counselor to teen girls and young women in crisis (specifically in a home environment). I would travel (and love every minute of it) but live in Gettysburg (because I love that place even more). I would be involved in discipleship and outreach. I would be a family focused person. I would have a huge and very soft heart for the church, the lost, friends, prayer, and ministering by the work of the Holy Spirit.

I can't describe the amount of peace I'm experiencing writing this down and making little modifications today. Before starting this post I was feeling a lot of stress and even some hopelessness being so caught up in detail after detail, thought of inadequacy after thought of inadequacy. But God will equip me and I can trust Him.

Not because I'm just waiting till [fill in some far off date] to start enjoying life... but because I can enjoy life now, love the Lord now, love people more sacrificially and more deeply now. I can embrace opportunity to learn and develop the gifts and even character qualities I really, really need to live in all that beauty up there to the best of my potential.

Whew. It is good to dream. :)

(Life Formations)

No comments:

Post a Comment