Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Background Story

Hi everyone!
Well, this is the first post. My name is Bonnie and in 6 short days I'll be starting my first year of Gettysburg Master's Commission. I hope to use this blog to share with family and friends the adventures, lessons I'm learning, and times of growth that I will experience as I enter into this new season of life.

The Lord first started leading me to apply for Master's Commission somewhere around the start of my 11th grade year. I had always planned to go college and major in psychology the fall after graduating from my High School,Bible Baptist. Occasionally I would add in "If I don't know what school to go to near the end of my senior year, maybe I'll apply for Master's Commission or something." (I'm not sure I really meant it at that point.)

So I kept searching for schools, visiting in person and online, and I couldn't find any school that I truly felt a peace about applying to. Now, I understand that I didn't need a big banner in the sky saying "This is the college for you!" or anything like that, but I am a big believer in the power of Prayer and the importance of being sensitive to God's guidance. As much as I prayed about each school I liked during that year... I knew that those schools weren't right for me just yet. All I wanted was to go where God wanted me to go.
One day, out of curiosity, I looked online at the Master's Commission website and searched for the MC's in my home state. Gettysburg was the first result, only 48 minutes ( I've timed it :) ) from my driveway. I think God flipped some kind of switch in me that day... I've never been able to get Gettysburg Master's Commission off of my heart or mind since then. Little by little, prayer time by prayer time, it became so completely clear to me that this was the place God wanted me to go. I went through times of doubt (a lot of times of doubt, actually) and several times I was overwhelmed by fear and uncertainty about doing something so different than I had initially planned. But God was so good to me. He taught me how to trust Him and reminded me over and over that fear was no reason to not be obedient. God filled me with so much joy as He revealed to me that I was not to doubt or fear or make my own plans anymore... He knows what He's doing and I've learned it is such a blessing to be living in obedience to God.

In December of 2009, my parents and I attended a service for the first time at Freedom Valley Worship Center (the church that runs the Master's Commission Program in Gettysburg). Near the end of March, my Mom and I attended a GMC discover day where we spent the morning with the GMC students and staff, worshiping, learning, and praying. I felt at home within 20 minutes of entering the church. Both of these experiences confirmed more and more that applying to GMC was right. God exceeded my expectations and showed me how much He cares for me. This time was so precious to me, and still is, as I reflected on God's sweet heart and His deep, endless understanding of what I needed to see and experience to know Master's Commission was really right for me.

So, there's a little background for all of you. I know it was long, but thank you for reading. I love to share this story about the life-changing power of the Lord. He has absolutely changed my heart, renewed my mind, and made me so so so excited for ministry. He's taken something I feared and tried to run away from and He's made it the desire of my heart. I know God is already developing in me a heart for Gettysburg and for the people I will encounter during my first year in Gettysburg. I am so looking forward to starting this new adventure and I hope you will be able to share in this experience with me through this blog. :)
Check back often for updates and always feel so welcome to leave comments.


"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
Ephesians 3:20-21

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bonnie, More than ever I wish I could hear and thus understand you and our other students. I was very impressed with the creation of your blog site - not only for its aesthetic nature as a graphic arts project(judging as the art teacher) but for the way it is written - you have truly written from your heart. I was deeply moved and rejoiced in your relationship with your Heavenly Father and Jesus and that God made it wonderfully clear to you - and you obeyed Him - of His will for your post graduation work. And this, too, He has prepared before hand, from ages past, "that you may walk in it." And he is enabling you to do just that! I praise God for His wonderful grace in your life!

    The photos were lovely and heart warming to look at. As for the pics of your hair accessories, I loved each shot but especially the one of the sunflower set within the real flowers! What a neat idea! You ought to try more! I loved to see your pins attached to people - you should have included photos with your set up at the art show!! Naughty girl! :-)It would certainly add to the attractiveness of the display.

    Your blog site deserves a grade of 100.

    Keep in touch please, Bonnie, or simply remind me if I don't log onto your blog site as I am growing forgetful. I will pray for you. Love in Jesus - Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete