Monday, August 23, 2010

First Weekend at GMC

Mom and I a few hours before leaving
It's been an incredible and very quick day and a half since I arrived here in Gettysburg. I've met some truly wonderful people already, including my GMC group, my home opener family, and many members of the church. Everyone has been so warm and welcoming and they've really made me feel at home. The past two days have really been a blast. It's hard to put into words the peace in my heart about being here. It's so funny to think that I place I told God I wasn't right for already has such a tight grip on my heart. I mentioned in my other post that within 20 minutes of arriving at Freedom Valley Worship Center this past March I felt right at home. Not just comfortable, but at home. That feeling continues to grow in me this weekend with every passing hour, conversation, and prayer. God is so good.

It's been a great weekend of spending time with my family, my home opener's, my team (including our director and his wife), the church body, and of course, the Lord. I feel so blessed already to have met everyone I've met and I am really excited to build friendships and minister with everyone here.

A portion of my room here, so cute.
Last night after moving in and meeting my host family, my parents and I headed out to East Berlin for a cookout at the home of a family from the church. It was a really fun time with all the students, parents, and home openers, made complete with uplifting, God-praising conversation and great food. Later the group of students headed out to Bruster's while the parents met with Lance (our director). My parents would head home from there for the night and I would go back to my home opener's. After leaving Bruster's and traveling through Hanover I got really lost. I made a stop at sheetz to ask for directions (that didn't exactly work out) and later a stop at Giant where the WONDERFUL customer service girl gave me some awesome directions to get home. I thanked her as if she saved my life haha. I was just so thankful after being lost for so long. It was dark and I was cell phone-less and alone, so things weren't looking great for me until that stop at Giant. But long story short: I got home! I'm not writing this from a curb in Hanover or the trunk of my car! :) Atleast I got to know the local roads well! (Oh, I also locked myself in my room later that night. My home opener's and I got a good laugh from that one though!)

This morning (Sunday), I met my family at Freedom Valley for the 11:15 service. It was really nice to be with them and allow them to see the church I'll be at this whole year. Service was excellent. I was so happy to see some familar faces from the day before and also meet new people. Worship was fantastic, our team was introduced and prayed for, and the sermon was very challenging and eye opening. It was about influence and with every note I felt God was preparing my heart more and more for this upcoming year.

After hanging around the church for a little while, my family head out for lunch then onto Walmart for a few supplies I needed. We said a tearful (but still joyful) goodbye, hugged a lot, and I was on my way. I am endlessly grateful for my parent's support through all this. They're the best and have taught me so much about courage and the beauty of following the Lord, wherever He leads. Love you guys!

Tonight, my team did some "team building". We traveled to the battlefields, did some fun ice breakers, prayed together, and went out for Rita's. It was really such an enjoyable night and I'm loving spending time with Lance, Rachel, and our team.

Thanks for reading! Most posts will be shorter than this, I hope! I'm so excited about what the Lord is teaching me already and the way He's renewing me and preparing me to follow Him more completely.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! The pictures turned out so nice too. So glad you are settling in well. And since you've experienced getting lost and driving alllll over southern Adams County, you will be the best driver and navigator ever!

    Love you lots, praying for you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete