Thursday, December 2, 2010

An Early Christmas Gift

Tonight I feel like God has given me an early Christmas gift.


Back in October, I donated blood at Freedom Valley's blood drive with the American Red Cross. It was a really good experience. I didn't cry, it really didn't hurt, and I got free juice :). The nurses were so sweet and the blood drive was run very well. Unfortunately, the next day I woke up feeling like I had the flu. Prior to donating blood I was told that if I developed flu-like symptoms within 24 (or 48?) hours of my donation I needed to call the Red Cross. As a precaution, the Red Cross can not keep blood that could potentially have traces of infection. I was so upset that I was sick. I didn't feel that donating blood had inconvenienced me at all. The situation just broke my heart because there were people who needed good blood and now mine wasn't available to them. 

I asked the Lord to make up for the blood that was lost by providing additional donors at the next Blood Drive, above and beyond what would have been provided if my blood were kept. Tonight God answered my prayer in a very special way. I was sitting in the living room when I got a phone call from a young man working with the Red Cross. He told me that my blood had been tested and is RH Negative. I am by no means an expert or even very knowledgeable about what this means, so he explained. Basically, RH Negative blood is fairly rare and extra pure compared to RH Positive Blood (what most people have). Therefore, RH Negative blood is especially used to help cancer patients and premature babies who need purer blood. (I became very excited at this point!)

The man continued by telling me that because this type of blood is rare, they really like to keep it in stock for these patients. He asked if I would be interested in donating again and I quickly said yes. We set up an appointment for me to donate a few weeks from now, only a couple minutes from Freedom Valley :)

I know some people wouldn't get this excited about donating blood... but for me it is just such a cool sign of God's faithfulness. I was so upset that my blood couldn't be used to help someone, but God turned the situation around. He's using the blood and the health he's given me to bless other people, especially those with issues so close to my heart. It is so like God to do something so special to me that in turn blesses someone else. He is so good.

To find out how you can support the American Red Cross or donate blood to someone in need, check out RedCross.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment